Humane Society Naples (HSN), Southwest Florida's state-of-the-art premier no-kill shelter, is seeking candidates for the position of Adoption Coordinator. HSN shelters and finds homes for over 3,500 cats, dogs, and other small mammals every year. HSN is committed to a positive experience for adopters and shelter residents. We seek an enthusiastic, positive, and caring Adoption Coordinator to oversee and promote our adoption program, train personnel on adoption counseling and customer service, and ensure best practices for finding loving forever homes for companion animals in need.
Under the direction and guidance of the Shelter Manager, and in cooperation with members of the Animal Care Team, the Adoption Coordinator will:
- Produce engaging shelter animal adoption cards
- Create and update adoption applications and SOPs related to all aspects of the adoption process
- Train animal care personnel on positive customer service and effective adoption counseling processes and procedures
- Verify that all companion animals available for adoption have received the required vaccinations, sterilization, & microchipping
- Maintain and update adoption paperwork and databases
- Conduct one-on-one meetings to counsel interested adopters
- Use sensible judgment to match qualified adopters with suitable companion animals
- Make final decisions on adoptions as needed, including rejecting applications or re-evaluating other team member decisions
- Process financial transactions related to adoptions, including cash and credit card payments
- Coordinate and oversee post-adoption follow-up program
- Create and provide innovative ideas to promote adoptions
- Provide accurate information and friendly professional service to the public and to coworkers in a responsive, positive, courteous, and tactful manner
- Advance personal knowledge of domestic animals including breeds, behavior, appropriate care and housing, common health problems, disease symptoms and handling techniques
- Conduct tours, lectures, public education programs, special events and fundraising activities as needed.
- Develop a strong, positive, and respectful working relationship with staff, volunteers, and shelter companion animal residents
- Assist with and supervise daily animal husbandry, care, and enrichment as needed.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- High school diploma or GED required; Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum 3 years of experience in an animal shelter, veterinary clinic, or other professional animal care setting
- Minimum 1 year of experience conducting adoptions in an animal shelter
- Minimum 1 year of supervisory experience
- Familiarity with best practices in companion animal adoptions
- Excellent customer service skills
- Coaching, training, and supervisory skills
- Computer skills, including data entry and Microsoft Office; familiarity with PetPoint, or ability to quickly learn new software
- Mathematical, cash-handling and credit card processing skills
- Ability to work within a team in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to maintain a positive and professional demeanor at all times
- Compassion and concern for domesticated animals
- Knowledge of companion animal husbandry, care, and enrichment
- Fluency in English is required; fluency in Spanish preferred but not required
Full-time, 40 hours per week. The successful candidate will be available to work weekends.
Individual medical, vision and dental insurance available on the 1st of the month following 60 days of employment
- HSN contributes $450 per month to medical premiums, and 90% of dental and vision premiums. Dependent coverage is not paid by HSN.
- Paid vacation and sick time
- $25,000 life insurance policy
- Voluntary supplemental insurance plans (disability, accident, etc.)
- Optional enrollment in 403(b) retirement plan; matching contributions after one year of service
- Minimum $16.50/hr; additional compensation negotiable based on education and experience
- Negotiable moving stipend is available to defray relocation expenses
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. HSN is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply online at https://hsnaples.org/careers