Job Purpose: Provide leadership and direction for all animal care, adoption services, intake, investigations and pet training activities.
To apply, please visit www.spcatampabay.org/careers
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Plan, budget, implement, direct, evaluate and ensure accountability for all animal welfare programs and services including: animal care, adoptions, intake, and investigations.
- Plan, budget, implement, direct, evaluate and ensure accountability for community outreach programs and services including: children’s camp programs, community and adoption events and operations volunteers.
- Plan, budget, implement, direct, evaluate and ensure accountability for pet training school programs including: group classes, private consultations, seminars and internships.
- Develop productive and collaborative interdepartmental relationships and partnerships with medical team.
- Provide strategic and operational support of open admissions operating model internally and externally.
- Consult as needed on strategic facility planning and analyze operational impact of facility improvements.
- Foster environment of exceptional customer service, including to on-site visitors and via telephone to the public; including routine review of phone script.
- Establish, monitor and update, as necessary, operational protocols of animal care, adoptions, intake and investigations.
- Recruit, select, supervise, evaluate and train or ensure training of direct reports.
- Provide direction and assist in the recruitment, selection and evaluation of other department staff.
- Oversee processes and documentation of all animals involved in cruelty and neglect investigations.
- Create, provide, evaluate and maintain monthly/annual animal matrix report for SPCA Tampa Bay and Pinellas County Partners, dashboard data and trend reports.
- Serve as a member of the leadership team.
- Provide friendly, responsive and personalized customer service.
- Keep, and ensure department staff, keep accurate and updated records in Pet Point shelter software.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- Participate in required meetings and trainings, special events and fund raising functions.
- Professionally represent SPCA Tampa Bay at all times.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or 7+ years of shelter management experience. Associate’s degree required.
- Five to seven years’ work experience in increasingly responsible shelter management roles, or in relevant management roles.
Licensure or Certification:
- Valid Florida driver’s license with acceptable driving record.
- Ability to provide excellent service and care for customers and animals.
- Ability to create an environment that promotes excellent customer service at all levels and by all positions.
- Knowledge and skill with regard to humane methods of care, restraint and handling of animals.
- Ability to function in a highly emotional environment.
- Ability to be flexible and work within a rapidly changing environment.
- Possess a genuine concern for animals and their welfare.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with other employees, board members, community members and volunteers.
- Strong analytical, writing, and financial skills, including problem solving and critical thinking.
- Integrity and ability to build trust relationships and to communicate in an open and transparent manner.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Demonstrated oral, written and spokesperson presentation skills.
- Strong leadership and management skills including ability to achieve results through others.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Pet Point and Raiser’s Edge.
- Ability to operate computer, printer, copier, telephone, fax machine and smartphone.
- Moderate physical effort – regularly lifting or moving up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds.
- Walking and prolonged standing.
- Stooping, kneeling, bending and crouching.
- Carrying, pushing and/or pulling.
- Facility operations include areas of high noise levels.
- Exposure to animal feces and potential for scratches and bites.
- Activities require the handling and transporting of SPCA pets of all sizes.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Reliable transportation.
- Ability to pass required background checks.