Job Purpose: Facilitate the transport and intake processes for strays, owner surrenders and owner requested euthanasia.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Facilitate the Intake process for all Strays, Owner Surrenders and Owner Requested Euthanasia intakes.
- Drive company vehicle to retrieve sick or injured animals.
- Assist customers with lost and found reports, offering advice on finding a lost animal, referring as needed to county resources.
- Educate and assist the public in regards to the importance of proper pet identification.
- Assist in the transport of animals from approved Placement Partners.
- Maintain vehicle and equipment in good mechanical, sanitary and safe conditions.
- Collect detailed behavioral and background information from customers relinquishing animals, in accordance with established Standard Operating Procedures and laws.
- Prepare reports and receipts per Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Work hand in hand with Medical and Behavior to determine appropriate outcomes for animals being brought into the shelter.
- Offer advice and counseling to pet owners who are considering animal relinquishment, and offer alternatives where appropriate.
- Dispatch humane investigations calls in accordance with established protocols.
- Answer phone calls promptly and courteously, following established customer service scripts.
- Provide friendly, responsive and personalized customer service.
- Keep accurate and updated records and enter data as required into appropriate shelter software.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- Participate in required meetings and trainings.
- Professionally represent SPCA Tampa Bay at all times.
- All other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED certificate.
- Proficient in spelling, arithmetic.
- One to two years of part-time or full-time general work experience preferred.
- Work experience in a shelter or similar facility preferred.
- Six months animal handling experience preferred.
Licensure or Certification:
- Valid Florida driver’s license with acceptable driving record.
- CVT or similar animal science credential desired.
- Ability to provide excellent service and care for customers and animals.
- Ability to exercise critical thinking in making judgments.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Ability to handle sensitive/confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to operate computer, tablet, printer, copier, telephone, fax machine and smartphone.
- Ability to work collaboratively and serve as an effective liaison with other departments.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Integrity and ability to build trust relationships.
- Possess a genuine concern for all animals and their welfare.
- Possess knowledge of and experience with humane methods of care, restraint and handling of all animals.
- Possess mature judgment and flexibility in handling a variety of situations.
- Strong problem solving abilities.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Pet Point.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Activities require the handling and transporting of SPCA pets of all sizes.
- Carrying, pushing and/or pulling.
- Moderate physical effort – regularly lifting or moving up to 25 lbs. Occasionally up to 50 lbs.
- Occasional exposure to animal feces and potential for scratches and bites.
- Occasional exposure to high noise levels, such as in dog kennels.
- Stooping, kneeling, bending and crouching.
- Walking and prolonged standing.
To apply, visit https://spcatampabay.org/careers/
- Reliable transportation.
- Ability to pass required background checks.